The OFM Franciscans arrived in Manila on July 2, 1577. Upon their arrival, the first fifteen friars were temporarily housed in the Augustinian convent in Intramuros. Then they finally moved to their own residence on August 1 of the same year. The next day they blessed their new church and placed it under the protection of Our Lady of the Angels. After a few months, they set off for the evangelization of the archipelago. In Manila, they founded Santa Ana de Sapa, Paco, Pandacan, Sampaloc and San Francisco del Monte. With the arrival of more friars, the Province of St. Gregory the Great was finally erected on November 15, 1586. In the ensuing years, the Spanish Franciscans labored energetically in many places in the country. Since their arrival until the end of the Spanish rule in 1898, the Franciscans were able to establish and/or administer 207 towns/parishes in the following areas: Manila, Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna, Quezon Province, Isabela, Cavite, Batangas, Bataan, La Union, Ilocos Sur, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Albay, Albay, Sorsogon, BuriasIsland, Marinduque, Mindoro, Samar, and Leyte.